Sunday, January 3, 2016

'Nostalgia' from JamieM - Rogue Trader Guardsmen

For me, there was only one option when I saw nostalgia was a round - 3 relatively unremarkable Games Workshop figures I remembered were hiding at the back of my drawer of "things not related to current projects that I'll probably get around to. Maybe. Sometime."

Why these three figures?

Well, they're the first figures I ever owned. They've managed to survive any purges of my collection that headed to eBay and I'm jolly glad they did. They were paint stripped some time ago and put aside for another time, and thanks to the challenge, that time has come far earlier than it otherwise would have.


They're from the "Rogue Trader" era, which is what got me into war gaming in the first place and brings back lots of happy memories. The chap in grey is from the Imperial Guard range (the massed soldiers who enforce the galactic emperor's will) and the other two are space adventurers.


I think I originally chose them as they were £2.50 for 5 at the time and seemed better value than space marines! Very important when pocket money was a very limited resource.

The grey was the standard colour for imperial guard at the time, the chap with the red helmet is an indulgence as those are the colours I remember painting him in the first place (hey, it was the 80's!) and the colours on the other chap just felt right.

I really like the facial expressions sculpted on them and can easily forgive the slightly wonky proportions (for example, the hands like spatchcocks on the imperial guardsman) and they gave me a real sense of delight to paint them again, remembering doing it first time round. I think the others from the original blister packs are buried in a box in my brother's garage of all places and I just may go and find them now!

14 comments:

  1. I love how the challenge gets us to dust off old figures like this! Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice crisp painting on these golden oldies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic work! And nice how this works for pulling out old models as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fact people are painting their very first miniatures again. Super stuff and great painting to boot. Nice one Jamie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More rogue trader guardsmen. It was a great game, long live the "Squats"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great figures. I definitely recognize the guy in the middle. Go find those other figures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonky proportions and big hands just make these figures even more wonderful - cracking work, Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great that these guys are getting some love after all these years. They're great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They seem to have a 2000AD vibe, very old school!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are fantastic - and I particularly love the color scheme on the guardsman...I might have to poach that look. Great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look grand! Glorious to see more RT Guard wade into the challenge! Really good brushwork on them too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a nice repaint of your first figures.

    ReplyDelete