Sunday, January 3, 2016

'Nostalgia' from SanderS - Creating the Perfect Nostalgic Moment

Hoi,

Nostalgia is all about events from the past having a certain meaning for you. As such I had thought of posting my Revell 8th Army or my Matchbox Germans in this bonus-round but in the end I decided to do something else altogether.


Some of the first ever Napoleonic miniatures I bought myself were Revell's Prussian Infantry in 1:72. I actually got a box from an Aunt who had misread the label and thought they were WW2 Germans (I kid you not!) but I liked them and bought me another box. Now these chaps have been re-done not too long ago so I cannot show you, but I did have a few sprues of HäT's 28mm Prussian Infantry lying around. A marching- and command sprue to be exact. I decided to paint these on the evenings of the first and second day of Christmas and so I started on them on the 25th of December. Now I have a 4 year old son who has been onlooker to me painting and basing little "puppets" for some time and he chose this day to ask me whether he could do some too. The command has 3 musicians amongst which is a bugler and he chose this figure to paint. He is now pretty much in favour of pink as a colour so the poor chap ended up half an orc and half a my little pony but hey we all start somewhere!



Of course I will not count this figure for points but what I am trying to say is that I hope I have created a moment for both me and my son to look back upon after many years with nostalgic feelings and hope he likes it just as much as I did. Backing up a bit; I am not the only one that has shown pictures of a kid painting his/ her own mini, perhaps we can make an unofficial side challenge of that as well eh?;-)

Anyway on to the figures I have painted






Some close ups




Cheers Sander

24 comments:

  1. You have created a memory for your child Sander. One to be looked back on and cherished. That is what being a good parent is all about.

    Beautiful entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see some old school plastics. And you've got your son started.
    Cheers PD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some really heartfelt moments cropping up around this theme; it's brought out lots of wonderful memories and some excellent interpretations. Well done, Sander!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That made my day. If ever the Challenge needed validation (and it doesn't!) then that would be it. Brilliant Sander and thanks for sharing your special moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job, and love that you got the little one in on it as well. Keep that model around so that you can show it to him on how he did when he first started painting. Have done it with my son, just have to remember where I put it :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your nostalgia may well become your childrens nostalgia. Time spent with family, priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work Sander, and great that you got your youngster involved :)

    As for the bugler, I think you'll find he is a member of the Blau Auster regiment, recruited from the St Pauli district of Hamburg ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your kind comments. They mean as much as the great stories you yourselves have shared with us all! Curt you're the best for hosting this bonus round!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Curt thinks to himself, 'I wonder if this 'Nostalgia' theme will work?' Reads entries like this as breathes a huge sigh of relief. :) Fabulous stuff Sander. You and your boy look like you're having a grand time together. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done and always good to get the children involved.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant story. And a fine side-challenge suggestion - someone take this man up on his offer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful story, Sander. The time with your boy alone was worth this bonus round.
    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work, Sander - fine figures, and a wonderful story and photo with the little fella!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Grand entry, Sander! Nostalgia is a great round and including the brood is really great too! My kids love to paint their minis, but they were too intimidated to enter this year even as a group. I should dig out my old nostalgic paint attempts and show we all need to start from someplace. Our hobby is a community and not much fun without friends to share it with. Unpainted minis are just sad potential waiting for color to liven them up! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks everyone! Let's make sure this Challenge will be worthwhile remembering and becoming a nostalgic pleasure itself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job on your figures and I loved the picture of you and your son painting. Brought a tear to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nostalgia with 1/72 plastics and new memories with your son. Tremendous.

    ReplyDelete