Sunday, January 3, 2016

'Nostalgia' from KyleC - Warhammer Daemon


First challenge up, and Nostalgia is the theme.. since these are quite open this is my entry...

The piece is harking back to the early days of games workshop, and one of my bigger armies that I ever played. But this piece in particular was one that I have had in my possession for probably close to 15-20 years? And one that I wished to get painted probably twelve times over since then. Though never got around to it for one reason or another..


I wanted to paint it like I would have in the old days as well though.. bright garnish colors with a mix of real metals and different texture via varnish applications.

The base even is even something of a nostalgia for me as I started to work on it some years ago ( 3 or 4? ) and never found the right model or time to finish it :) Guess now was that time..

Well hope you all enjoy this piece.. might not be the best nostalgia piece out there, but it will suffice all the same for myself.. with the next ones being a bit more difficult for me to find perfect subjects for :)

31 comments:

  1. Fantastic brushwork Kyle. The highlights and blends on those purples are amazing. Also loving the way you did that base!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne.. was not fully happy with the purple, but will call it done ;) And the base I do like how it came out.. now trying to replicate it for later..

      Delete
  2. Ah, the classic Keeper of Secrets - love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly a classic model.. I had some of the others as well, but they have yet to be unearthed in the boxes of mystery... maybe one day :)

      Delete
  3. Not only a very good figure but a red-hot base as well :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the base is a bit of lava and... oh I see what you did there ;) Cheeky ;)

      Delete
  4. Nice heels! Great colour choices Kyle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heels brings the deamon to new heights ;)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Fran, though not as good as the one you made for this side challenge :D

      Delete
  6. Beautiful work Kyle :)

    But where did you find the time to paint this in between all those USMC points bombs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was done after all the USMC models ;) Posting of articles is suffering from a bit of lag atm :D

      Delete
  7. That's a fine piece of work, the basing is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huge compliment coming from you mate. The king of basing and dioramas!

      Delete
  8. Lovely finish, Slaneesh would be proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Sure it is not a bit excessive? ;)

      Delete
  9. A lovely figure, true old school GW, and the basing is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was very happy to be able to use the Base finally!

      Delete
  10. Great work all round on the figure and the base. Well done, and a cracking start for the Themed Rounds, Kyle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sidney, though I dont suspect I will be in too many of them over the course of this competition.. will have to see...

      Delete
  11. I really like that shade of purple on him, her, it...;)
    Splendid Demon and the base suits it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that.. was really happy to finally find a use for that base there!

      Delete
  12. Keeper of Secrets! \m/ I believe my first words were "Holy @#$%!" when I saw it. Great Nostalgia piece pulling in the funky color aesthetic with new techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well you finally got it painted and what a stunning job you did!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is an amazing piece of work Kyle and with a smokin' foundation as well (literally)!

    ReplyDelete