Sunday, January 3, 2016

'Nostalgia' from IannickM - Oldhammer, Three Champions of Chaos


Apparently some people struggled finding a submission for this bonus theme. I was not one of them! After all, I've been painting an Oldhammer Chaos army for over a year now and I just love the Oldhammer concept and community. And, well, the whole thing is about nostalgia, really! So I could've just take any figure I guess and it would've met the criteria. But that would've been too easy. I really wanted to channel my 11 year old geeky self for this entry.

While my entryway into the whole hobby was gamebooks and then RPG's, I can pinpoint the exact moment I got interested into wargaming, and that is when I received the book Realm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned. From that point on I spent way too many hours eyeing the beautiful painting inside, and dreaming of purchases while browsing White Dwarfs and Citadel catalogues. But those miniatures were expensive, and I was not really good at painting them either (that is when I could get my hands on them). For me, Oldhammer is about fulfilling those dreams, i.e. buying the figures I could not have as a child and then giving them the proper paintjob I dreamed of.

So for this bonus round I picked three Chaos champions, three iconic figures that are some of my very favourite sculpts of today and yesterday.


Doras Varn, Champion of Slaanesh (God of lust, pleasure, desire, and excess)




Burgold Festus, Champion of Nurgle (God of plague, despair, disease and death)



Valent Uuthizar, Champion of Tzeentch (God of change, fate, hope, and knowledge)

Two of them I've had since my childhood and one I bought a year or so ago. I've been avoiding painting them as I must admit there was still the fear of not painting them to the standard I want. But this bonus round gave me the incentive I needed, and so here they are, painted in all their nostalgic beauty (well to be honest they still are fantastic sculpts even by today's standard). I hope they'll trigger the same nostalgia feelings in some of you.

24 comments:

  1. I remember that Champion of Slaanesh! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He might just be the most iconic Champion there is!

      Delete
  2. These Jes Goodwin (IIRC) sculpts of the champions of chaos are right up there amongst my favourite miniature sculpts ever. Slaanesh were my favourite and you've done a great job here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, and totally true to the paintingstyle of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did work hard to get the old school colours, especially the Slaanesh champion.

      Delete
  4. Great work! Love it! Would have loved to own such pieces myself ( if ever I get back to really working on my Deamon army that is ! )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Some of them, like the Slaanesh, Champion are getting expensive but you can easily find them on EBay...if you don't mind the price ;-)

      Delete
  5. Niiice! Loving the Oldhammer Ian. I want more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Expect to see a few more oldies during the challenge, for sure!

      Delete
  6. Nostalgia button hit with a sledgehammer! Great work on these absolutely iconic figures from RoC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these dudes! Takes me back to the glory days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt! They did know how to make Miniatures in those days!

      Delete
  8. Some wonderful memories there, Ian, and the colour palette is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad the palette works, I went Old School colourful on these!

      Delete
  9. Some wonderful memories there, Ian, and the colour palette is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning work, Ian - lovely colours, just screaming out Slaanesh and Tzeentch at the tops of their voices!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did them proud! I still want the Slannesh Champion, but boy is he pricey in the aftermarket!

    ReplyDelete