Sunday, January 3, 2016

'Nostalgia' from EdwinK - Doctor Who Cybermen


Thoughts of Jenna Coleman to one side, there’s only one reason why a man of my age should be a Doctor Who fan – pure nostalgia. That being so, I thought it appropriate to submit these for this bonus round. 

Although they barely appeared during the tenure of ‘my Doctors’ (Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker), Cybermen are one of the more iconic of the Doctor’s foes. I’m not going to go into the multitude of design variations here – we don’t have space or time! So here is a squad of six 28mm Cybermen from Black Tree Designs: in two different poses and a Cyberleader. 


I’m afraid they’re a bit of a rush job (bonus round!), and I’m not too happy with the bases – they ended up as a mixture of moonbase and Home Countries sand quarry, but fans will appreciate that. There was a seventh, but his base was even worse than the others he’ll appear in a future submission.

17 comments:

  1. I think most of us who grew up with Doctor Who associate it with the better times in our young lives. I'm glad they did the reboot as my children were able to grow up with it as well.

    Splendid choice Edwin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the choice of figs, Edwin, splendidly nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choice Edwin, they used to frighten the bloody life out of me when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice Edwin, they used to frighten the bloody life out of me when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can;t beat "Dr Who" imho. Great stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I am not a big Doctor Who fan, I do like these miniatures a lot, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did work on a Dr Who episode many years ago. But no Darleks or Cybermen. This takes me back, and shows my age!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff Edwin. A little bit of my childhood right there....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely stuff Edwin - the Cybermen were always the spookiest for me when I was a kid :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My middle daughter is a huge Dr Who fan, she will appreciate these a lot!
    Great job on the cybermen, Edwin!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool figures, they look good Edwin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. An excellent choice for the nostalgia bonus round. They look great and I like the scene you set up for the photos - budget conscious like the early TV shows.

    ReplyDelete