Sunday, January 31, 2016

'Defensive Terrain' from JamieM - 'Terrain That Might Make You Feel Defensive'

This is a bit out of left field, so please do bear with me..... I was wondering what to for this bonus round and then I saw this and a crazy idea took root and just wouldn't go away. So here it is. A 28mm MDF wargames shop.


This wargames shop is all set up for trading, with shop space downstairs


And gaming space upstairs




Two tables with green cloths on (and a shelf to hold scenery) and a smaller table for Magic or board games.


.........Ok, so you're asking yourself why this is "Defensive terrain"?

Here, for those who have stuck with me this far, is the answer. This hobby of ours really is great. It's been a huge part of most of my life, but I do get a bit "Defensive" about it sometimes. Often I won't tell people it's my hobby, for example most workmates. From talking to my gaming mates, their approaches range from one telling absolutely nobody outside the club ("brown bag hobby" in his words) to another who openly preps and paints figures over lunchtime at work. Should I put it on my CV in the "other interests" section? At what point is it best to tell someone that you're "courting" about your hobby? Should I take a bag to town big enough to put the "Games Workshop" carrier bag I'm planning on getting in? Do I talk about my space marines to my boss?

Hence I thought I'd do this in homage to the "defensive" side of most gamers, which we know we shouldn't have, but I for one haven't been able to totally shift, even though it gets easier as I get older and worry less about what is "cool". 

Ok, turns out finally typing all that hasn't helped me to finally decide if this was a good idea or quite the opposite, so please feel free to score or disqualify as you see fit Curt!

25 comments:

  1. I like this, it's such a creative idea and highly accurate of our hobby. Maybe it's time we sponsored a movement that allows gamers to "come out of the closet" as it were and proudly display our geeky side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne - I'll co sponsor that movement! But I may have trouble telling people I'm doing so ;)

      Delete
  2. Interesting twist Jamie. If people ask I tell em but I figure that I don't need to inflict my obsessions on the general public. I have a support group for that right here :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsy, I'm like you I think, but still find it tough to explain to some even when asked.....

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Was it you that cleared the shelves of the stock?

      Delete
  4. This was one of my favorite entries this round. Well done Jamie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, something a little different for folks to think about, plus free therapy for me!

      Delete
  5. It was a great idea and so well put into practice

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian! Wish I had had more time.... The gamers lament.

      Delete
  6. Is that the old Eye of Terror campaign map I spy on the gaming room wall? Great stuff and well deserving a vote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed the campaign map! Good spot. I wanted it to feel like the sort of place that ran and supported campaigns and that was one I remembered.

      Delete
  7. Love it Jamie! :)

    All it needs is a gamer or two - I believe GZG have a few figures in their 25mm "Street Level" range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, I even bought some gamers for it but a very busy week at work put paid to my plan to have them done. Tried some 2mm stuff on the tables too, but it was a little bit large :)

      Delete
  8. Well that was spark of creation! Very nice!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was an idea that just wouldn't go away once I'd had it.

      Delete
  9. You definitely get the award for the most creative application of the theme, and you're absolutely right--most gamers (myself included) can feel a bit defensive about our hobby. I think that's changing with the younger generation (that's been my observation among the younger gamers I know, at least).

    Great work on the scale wargaming tables. You should paint up some 2mm figures to put on top!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a clever interpretation and a great job too. I happily tell friends about the hobby who, on the whole, are fairly accepting. Not sure I am brave enough to pop it on the CV yet though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my favorite so far, Jamie! Very well done from the furniture down ( shame Barks bought all the stock!)
    The coworker who bought me the Ospreys recently defended me and my hobby too.
    .He quipped that it probably isn't very smart to mock a big guy who runs down bad folk for fun. ;)

    All the people that matter should know, if they are bothered then they don't matter. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fine choice a no doubt one that we can all empathise with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant work, Jamie. I love this. Please can you now build a 1:1 scale version in St. Albans, Hertfordshire?

    ReplyDelete