Saturday, January 16, 2016

'Epic Fail' from KyleC - Beware the water...


Once upon a time there was a competition to paint lots of cool lead, plastic and resin models. Within that competition, a mini challenge was raised to create something in the form of an Epic Fail.

As always these mini challenges have a very wide interpretation of what they could include.

So for me on this challenge I went forward with a double combo of Fails....


The story of the piece is one of a little boy who wants to go fishing near the river. However his simple pole and string fishing rod gets snagged on the bushes when trying to cast it off. Making it a fail of sorts for what the little boy wanted to achieve anyways.


The combo fail here though is the water effects. I have always steered clear of doing water effects due to the major risk of failure upon using them. This challenge gave me a chance to try again cause well, if I failed then.. it just fits into the theme.

I had started to work on the water effects starting on Monday of this week, and it just never really dried enough to fully cure, even though I gave it a few tries and styles over the week. Ultimately it is failed, as it was not the solid piece of clear resin water that I was hoping for, but instead a wavy mess on top, and missing of structure below. It also seeped into the sides where I have the plasticard to hold it in.. and that ruined the sides of the socket that I used here.

I guess it is not fully an epic fail overall, but it is a fail as I was hoping to have a much better looking socket with the water there. But at the same time the wavy effects looks interesting all the same.

Hope you all like it.. and now to go back to batch painting!

32 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cheers Fran, just wish that the water effects played nicely for me though :S

      Delete
  2. That water effect is still very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks.. though not the effect I was going for, I was able to salvage a bit of it indeed.

      Delete
  3. The water effects still look great to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, it looks ok but not what I was aiming for.. that's all..

      Delete
  4. Extremely endearing entry, well played!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well part of it was planning that if I fail, then I fail hard ;)

      Delete
  5. Nice diorama idea, shame the water effects went a little awry. Great work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ever since I saw this model I knew he could fit into such a scene.. so figured why not now?

      Delete
  6. Great idea, top work. The water reminds me that I need to clean out the roasting tin from the chicken I cooked earlier. On the up side I've never done water effects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried water effects previously.. but it went a bit better.. though it was also in a better container.. though I agree it looks like a bit of a mess in terms of coloring :)

      Delete
  7. Great idea, top work. The water reminds me that I need to clean out the roasting tin from the chicken I cooked earlier. On the up side I've never done water effects

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, don't be too hard on yourself, Kyle. I think this is still pretty awesome. Top marks for attempting something I'd not have the guts to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always shy away from them normally.. so thought why not with a topic like fail!

      Delete
  9. Bummer about the water effects. For what it's worth, the piece is still quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks really nice, and I like the irony in the fail theme which earns an extra mark! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.. was the intentional back up plan ;)

      Delete
  11. If you did not mention the water problems many (myself included) would think it was the desired effect. Nice work mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, though not what I was looking for overall.. will find new materials and give it another go though.. let's see!

      Delete
  12. Regardless of the water effect this is still a lovely entry and a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael.. its no Awdry diorama classic, but am slowly getting there ;)

      Delete
  13. What a shame the water effect didn't work, still looks pretty cool as is though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray.. at least I have that going for me :D

      Delete
  14. This is hardly a failure Kyle. The water has an interesting look to it, as if it is reaching out into infinity and hanging there. Nice composition and I like that Hasslefree figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Anne, I was able to salvage a bit of it through some monkeying around on it.. but considering that I spent a good week trying to get to this point it was quite a challenge for me!

      Delete
  15. Great effort and I think the water came out fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter, but there are some cracks in the water that ruins the effects.. maybe not fully visible from the photos..

      Delete