Sunday, January 3, 2016

'Nostalgia' from AaronH - Goblin Spider Chariot

I wasn't sure what to paint for this bonus round, and honestly had decided to give it a pass. Over the last week I've been reading through people's end of year/beginning of year posts (I love 'em). As I was preparing my own, something came to fruition in my tiny little brain. The death of Warhammer this year had made me (and many others) sad. It got me thinking to when I first started formal wargaming, with GW and Warhammer 6th Edition.


I look back on that edition of Warhammer as some of my happiest gaming. I was just starting to play, I hadn't learned to hate GW. Warhammer was fun and awesome. I played game after game and loved them all.
The front of this chariot is amazing.
There were some great sculpts back in the past of Warhammer. Characterful, eccentric and fun. I found this goblin chariot on E-Bay last year. It didn't have its wolves, but I have a LOT of spider riders.

I call the orange and blue spider Steve. He's painted after a mandarin Gobi I used to have.
I painted this up old school, though I couldn't bring myself to just pain the base green and leave it at that. The red whip and bow are a direct homage to the old orcs and goblins.

The Death's Head spider took forever because of the white.
The goblins were simple but great to paint. They just have so much character in their faces; malice and glee at hurtling at the enemy behind a couple of giant spiders.

I deliberately glued the wheels on wonky. They're gobbos after all.
I wanted to present this chariot as a rather desperate affair in construction, but blinged out for all the gobbos are worth, because they're awesome for getting to ride to battle and not walk.

One of those old school gobbos. This guy and his friends haven't been on a tabletop in well over a decade.
This model takes me back to when Warhammer was alive and vibrant and fun. A time when I could afford the models and everything was new and shiny.

32 comments:

  1. Really cool model and I love the palette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. That means a lot coming from you.

      Delete
  2. If I played Warhammer I'd love to have a goblin horde due to models like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks. This one will see action in Kings of War. I hope I like the rules.

      Delete
  3. With the arrer-gobbo included it IS nostalgia pur sang!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely approve of this.. back in the days when we were all enamoured to GW for how Fantasy ( or 40k ) played, and played because it was fun. Painted mass ranks cause they were not too bad, and still fun, and were not looking for broken rules of units to play herohammer..
    Plus as a fellow Goblin player this is a real treat to see for me! :) Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M R Lee. As lucky as we are in this day and age for gaming choice, I do miss those days.

      Delete
  5. Nice chariot. One I do not remember, maybe after my GW time, maybe before. Who knows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure when it came out, but definitely not recently.

      Delete
  6. The game you loved (and still love I suspect) is NOT dead and gone just because GW abandoned it. Make it your own even more than before Aaron and play it for the sheer fun of being with your mates and sharing the laughs.

    Great choice of subject and really well executed too BTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the boys get bigger we'll be playing some 6th/7th edition Warhammer. For now I think Kings of War will be easier to grasp for them.

      Delete
  7. Spider-drawn chariots? Good heavens above!

    Nice work Aaron :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife said something similar, followed by "eek". Thanks Tamsin.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. I agree. The old Orcs and Gobbos had a strong fun streak through them.

      Delete
  9. Great miniatures and a great story from a golden age . I remember it well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite pleased to find the miniature.

      Delete
  10. Very cool! Would look good in a forest Goblin force (my own favourites). 6th edition was very good; I usually either play 3rd or 6th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would look great with forest goblins. I thought about adding some feathers to the gobbos but to be honest I didn't want to spoil their perfection. The only reason I added the spiders was that it was incomplete when I bought it.

      Delete
  11. Fantastic work, love the smoothness of the colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. Vallejo paints are very nice.

      Delete
  12. Fantastic work, love the smoothness of the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job on the Marauder Goblin Chariot. The draft spiders are a great work around not having the wolves. And also good for the tradition of spiders in the challenge. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps Loki will get a chuckle from them.

      Delete
  14. Love those spiders, Steve is rather vibrant! Those were the best days of GW. Thankfully I still have my old books! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice colours. Clever use of the spider and an interesting story. Nice to hear it will be used in Kings of War.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really nice entry. Oh the days when Warhammer was fun and an actual sense of humour. Shame it got all serious and chaos moody. Nice combination of old and new but with the bright old school paint job. cheers

    ReplyDelete