Sunday, January 31, 2016

'Defensive Terrain' from SimonM - 'Molly Hayes'

This 28mm plastic “Wizkids” model of Molly Hayes is miniature number 41 from the Marvel “Heroclix” Hammer Of Thor range. Despite being the daughter of two evil telepathic villains, the mutant child’s powers are superhuman strength and invulnerability. Indeed the young girl is already the fourth toughest female in the “Marvel Universe”, after Rogue, She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel. Created by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona, Princess Power first appeared in July 2003 within the pages of Issue One of “Runaways”.


The figure originally had three ducklings on its ‘Clicky’ base which the adolescent had torn up some concrete to protect. However as I wanted to use the birds as a possible objective marker in my games, I re-based them upon the thin 40mm circular bases I use for such purposes. In addition I quickly painted the feathered fowls with a couple of coats of “Vallejo” Heavy Ochre and then washed them with “Citadel” Reikland Fleshshade. Finally I dry-brushed the tiny creatures with some more “Vallejo” Heavy Ochre.





I initially undercoated Molly with “Vallejo” White and then painted her jeans with a combination of Heavy Blue and “Citadel” Asurmen Blue. I next applied a layer of “Vallejo” Squid Pink to her T-shirt and cuddly animal hat. These areas were then given a wash of “Citadel” Carroburg Crimson, before I painted her flesh with “Vallejo” Heavy Skintone. Once I had applied some watered-down “Citadel” Reikland Fleshshade to her skin, and picked out her facial features and fingers with a little more “Vallejo” Heavy Skintone, I finished the model by painting the large piece of concrete the powerhouse was using in order to defend the ducklings from any danger, with a combination of Heavy Bluegrey and “Citadel” Nuln Oil.




As soon as I saw that one of the Themed Bonus Rounds was going to be Defensive Terrain, I immediately thought of young Molly grabbing a piece of concrete and protecting the trio of ducklings with it as they merrily went about their business…


24 comments:

  1. Great twist on the theme Simon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of ducklings as an objective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks. They're bound to crop up in the most unlikely of games ;-)

      Delete
  3. you had me with the ducklings, but the WIP is great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sander. Gotta keep the ducklings safe ;-)

      Delete
  4. Is she protecting them with the concrete slab or is she going to splat them by dropping it on them?

    Either way, nice repaints Simon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. Molly's a very nice, if short-tempered, girl, so she's protecting them :-)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful brushwork on the super, Simon! I imagine the ducklings are quite safe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers David. Molly can certainly hold her own against all but the mightiest "Marvel" villains, so I concur that the sucklings should be safe.

      Delete
  6. Just painting up some of these characters, but this is a great use of the model! Fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MrLee. Let us know which of your many blogs you'll be posting them up on, and I'll be sure to follow.

      Delete
  7. Oh well done Simon, I have been looking forward to seeing this completed and it certainly doesn't disappoint - bravo Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Michael. Though your entry has actually cost me money!!! ;-)

      Delete
  8. Excellent ducklings, concrete and submission. Get's my vote!

    ReplyDelete