Sunday, January 3, 2016

'Nostalgia' from StefanK - Dark Angels Space Marine Brother Nostalgico

Curt's call for a nostalgia figures was enough for me to dig into my old box with bits and pieces from earlier days. Inside I found a sprue of Space Marines by Games Workhshop. Since these were the figures I started wargaming with I found it appropriate for this theme round. Actually I started with one or two generations older Space Marines but no unpainted figures from the early nineties survived on my lead pile.
Anyway here we go for brother Nostalgico:

It's as far as I remember a piece of the third or fourth generation of plastic Space Marines. During this period of Warhammer 40K there were nice sprues with chapter specific parts. Thus brother Nostalgico is wearing a bone white gown as most veterans of the Dark Angels Space Marines do.

The paintjob was pretty straight. Meanwhile I don't have any Games Workshop colours anymore and employed Vallejo Model Colors instead. The green is based on Luftwaffe Camo Green and I applied it with my new airbrush gun. I even tried to do the highlighting with it but it didn't work on all parts of the figures. Finally I applied some blackish wash to underline the fine indentations.

The gown is based on a dark yellow tone and I highlighted it with a couple of beige and whitish layers. As you see on the back view larger folds are still not my cup of tea.
Although I gladly changed into historical wargaming a couple of years ago it was nice to go back to the roots for a couple of hours. Excellent idea, Curt !

16 comments:

  1. Lovely work Stefan! I used to have this very same figure (but not nearly as well painted). I've always like the Marines with the cloaks/tabards and I like the elegant simplicity of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, smooth painting on this. The whites came out beautifully.

    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Stefan. The name is pure genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a Dark Angels player: how could I not like this, great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have my "Beaky" Marines. So models like this will always be young upstarts to my generation. But every generation creates its own nostalgia so I salute you. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice work, Stefan! My nephew has most all of my Dark Angels now. He has gathered all the new stuff too.
    Really good work and I like the robes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your choice of figure. Nice work on this.

    ReplyDelete